I always hoped my children would have my love of reading.
I pictured my children lying on their bed with a flashlight under the cover sneaking a few more minutes of reading time after I kissed them goodnight.
That would be something!
I can remember those times as a child myself.
Books would always put a smile on my face and a laugh in my belly.
They transported me to faraway lands to slay dragons and watching the underdog win in the end.
Walt Disney said “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island,” and I believe it!
Want One-On-One Expert Help?!
CHECK THIS OUT!
Here are seven EASY ways to facilitate the growing love of reading within your child…
7 Easy Activities to Instill the Love of Reading in Your Child
#1 As a parent, model YOUR love of reading!
- If you are excited, your child will be excited, too!
- Have what I call “Stop Drop and Read Sessions” daily where you both sit and read even if just for 10 minutes.
#2 Read the book then watch the movie.
- Let them pick out a book to read knowing ahead of time they will get to watch the movie when finished.
- Watching a movie is always a treat in a child’s eyes.
- Pop some popcorn and compare/contrast the book to the movie as you watch.
- Here is a list of 50 great movies based on children’s books. that will instill the love of reading.
#3 Read aloud, even when they don’t need it!
- Nothing beats mom or dad reading to you…no matter what age!
- If they want to read aloud, too take turns by alternating pages.
- Reading Aloud To Older Kids Is Crucial! Read why here.
#4 Start a club.
- It only takes two people.
- Gather some of the neighbor kids for some book club fun over summer, spring, or winter breaks.
- Have refreshments and games.
- Check out this 13 point checklist on how to start a book club for kids.
#5 Ask questions.
- Questioning has been proven to enhance comprehension- AND ENJOYMENT!
- Let them quiz you too because they learn even more when they think they are the teacher.
- Here are some questions you can ask your child about their reading (and you can even print them and use as bookmarks).
#6 Count on magazines.
- They spot them at the check out lane because they are so flashy and full of pictures. But, magazines are full of content-rich articles too!
- Let them pick out a few age-appropriate magazines next time you get groceries.
- Check out Amazon’s list of Best Children’s Magazines.
#7 Get cooking!
- Studies show that when ingredients and instructions are read slowly many times, it increases comprehension.
- Let them check out recipe books from the library.
- Then try a new recipe over the weekend.
- Check out Amazon’s list of Best Children’s Cookbooks.
It may take time to instill the love of reading in your child, so be sure to be patient. Most of all, remember to keep reading light and fun.
If your child struggles with reading that may be why they don’t like to read. Check out the following articles that may help.
Need a little help with their reading… we offer one-on-one special education tutoring that can be done from anywhere you are! Why? Because our special education experts conduct their sessions online!
Get started with a free consultation!
Does your child love to read? What ways do you make reading fun for your children?